HYDRANAL™-Composite is a frequently used pyridine-free Karl Fischer reagent. This one-component reagent has been proving its capabilities in volumetric titration for more than thirty five years in a large range of applications in the most diverse fields of research and industry.
The one component system have the following advantages:
- Unlimited water capacity
- Convenient and easy to use
- Great flexibility in working media selection
- Composites are suitable for methanol-reacting compounds, e.g. ketones and aldehydes
- Long shelf life (three years)
HYDRANAL™-Composite contains all the reactants including iodine, sulfur dioxide, and the bases imidazole and 2-methylimidazole, dissolved in diethylene glycol monoethyl ether (DEGEE). Adding 2-methylimidazole in addition to imidazole improves the stability and eliminates the formation of crystals which can interfere with the titrators performance.
Two-component reagent have been developed to use the stability advantage of a pure alcoholic solution of iodine. Additionally the buffered system provides a very fast titration performance.
In two-component reagents the Karl Fisher reactants are separated into two solutions: the titrant and the solvent. Hydranal-Titrant contains iodine dissolved in an alcohol with a precisely defined concentration. Hydranal-Solvent is an alcoholic solution of sulfur dioxide and imidazole.
2 component systems have the following features:
- High titration speed with exact and stable titer
- Ideal accuracy for small amounts of water
- High buffer capacity
- Long shelf life (three years for titrants, five years for solvents)
The E- type reagents are ethanol based rather than methanol based and have reduced toxicity (compared to methanol).